Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Decades of Laundry

 This is my maternal great grandmother doing the laundry by hanging sheets outside to dry. I believe this photo was taken in the early 1940's.  I made this page for the November Heritage challenge over at scrapbook.com.  I made the background to look like a bed sheet over a doily.  I hand stitched the "sheet" and used some wooden buttons on all the corners. I also made a couple clothes lines with twine, hanging some mini clothespins and mini hangers from it, making them hold on to the "sheet" and the photo.
 I attempted to make my own laundry basket out of corrugated cardboard and some lace.  I put some cheesecloth inside to make it look like it is holding some laundry and then added a couple pins and buttons for an extra touch.  The pearls came from a broken necklace. 
 These couple spools of thread I had on hand.
 I used an old  elastic waistband that I found in my stash.  It even had its own discoloration which even made it better.  For the center of the flowers I used some buttons that I threaded.
 I got a few charms from Michael's to add to dangle on these hangers.  A thimble and a pair of scissors.  
 I added thread to the buttons as well as ink to give it an aged look.
 I used some grunge board to make this dress form.  The pin I inherited from my SIL.
The measuring tape was broken which made a great piece for an embellishment on this page.  Again, I used some cheesecloth and pins over some burlap.

Hope this inspires you :)

1 comment:

  1. I love the page-you spent a lot of time on those elements!

    ReplyDelete